Thursday, June 09, 2005

Those BASTARDS!

Last night I came home and as I was driving around to the far side of the house, where our door is, I realized that the roses had fallen from the hook Tom had put in. I looked in the sideview mirrow and was also shocked to see that every single friggin lily was GONE. Those Bastards came and chomped each lilly off, there wasn't a single bud left on the 2 flowering plants. The 3rd plant still has buds, but I know that the damn deer are reading this blog and planning their next meal! Here are a few photos I took earlier this year - one is from my bedroom and the other close up one shows 8 sets of legs. There were 3 other deer over the stone wall out of camera range. I have never liked venison before - but I am tempted to try every possible recipe - after all how bad can my flowers taste the 2nd time around? Anyone want some venison steak? :-D eirdre

6 comments:

JulieZS said...

Awwww, shit Deirdre! That totally sucks!! Can you fence in part of the yard? That's how we have it arranged here. A perimeter fence would be impossible.
Yes venison is great tasting, very complex and interesting. I've had venison sausage that a friend makes fresh from his dad's hunting. I keep threatening to have my uncle who bow hunts come sit on my porch during deer season to pick 'em off as they saunter by.

Elle said...

LOL. Bad deer! BAD!

Mary Beth said...

but venison goooooooood.......

I often think unkind thoughts about deer. they have used my yard as a salad bar way too many times. And I know where they live.

Shoshana said...

Hm... take a haunch of venison, put it in the crock pot with a really good garlic marinade, and simmer for about 8 hours. It is yummy. Serve with some lingonberry jam.

Good thing those deer aren't here in Iowa. As long as you are on your own property and have a tag, or there is no property within 100 feet, you can shoot them.

Dinner time is when?

Kate West said...

Oh my goodness, I had to laugh at this because I could so relate. When I used to live on Whidbey we were overrun with deer and rabbits. Between the two, I couldn't grow a damn thing in my yard that flowered. I remember when I first moved in, I bought a couple of flats of flowers and spent quite a bit of time planting them around the yard one day. I got up the next morning to nothing but stems. ARggghh!

teri springer said...

Yummy...fast beef (Yooper term for deer). You need a dog. I still have problems with rabbits (they are quieter than the deer) but Shanny does not tolerate deer in his domain. I HAVE had to leave some spots in my garden unplanted tho to accomodate the dog. Small price to pay for no deer.

teri